Check the status of Vehicle Tax

Do you need Vehicle Tax?

To drive on the the UK roads your car, bike or van must have valid Vehicle Tax. The majority of drivers have to pay to tax their vehicle. However, certain vehicles may be exempt from Vehicle Tax. To check if you vehicle is taxed, to report an untaxed vehicle or to register your own vehicle as SORN (Statutory Off Road Notice) please scroll down.

Vehicle Tax FAQ

If you can’t find the answer to your questions here then please pop over to IsMyCar Vehicle Tax FAQ’s for all the answers to the most popular car tax questions.

Free Service

Check if your vehicle has a valid MOT here. This service is FREE and provided by

Premium Service reports if a car has been stolen, exported, written-off, scrapped & more from just £1.99

Free Service

Check a vehicles MOT history here. This service is FREE and provided by

Vehicle TAX checker

Vehicle Tax Checker

To check that your vehicle is taxed please press the “Tax Check” button below. At the website simply enter the registration number of your car, bike or van for an up to date Vehicle Tax status report. This service is FREE and available to anyone, whether the registered keeper of a vehicle or not.

Vehicle Tax Exemption

Certain vehicles are exempt from vehicle tax for example disabled passenger vehicles, historic vehicles, certain electric vehicles. A summary of these vehicles is listed below. Please press the “Tax Exempt” button below for more details and to apply for Vehicle Tax Exemption

  • Vehicles used by a disabled person
  • Disabled passenger vehicles
  • Mobility scooters, powered wheel chairs and invalid carriages
  • Historic vehicles (made before 1 January 1978 are exempt from 1 April 2018)
  • Electric vehicles
  • Mowing machines
  • Steam vehicles
  • Vehicles used just for agriculture, horticulture and forestry

Report an Untaxed Vehicle

It is a motoring offence to drive an untaxed vehicle on UK roads unless it is exempt from taxation. If you are aware of an untaxed vehicle being driven (or simply parked) on a UK road then you may report it to the authorities. To report an untaxed vehicle please press the “Report Untaxed” button below. This is an anonymous service that will be investigated by the DVLA.

Register a Vehicle as SORN

If you wish to keep a registered vehicle on private property and NOT drive it on public roads then you must register it as SORN. A Statutory Off Road Notice informs the DVLA that your car, bike or van is off the road and not being driven. When a vehicle is registered SORN there is no Vehicle Tax to be paid . To register a vehicle SORN please press the “SORN” button below.

More Services from

Visitors to the website may be interested in the following motoring topics

Affiliated Partners

HPI Check

HPI Check – HPI are the market leaders in vehicle history checks. They are all about giving used car buyers the right information at the right time when buying a used car, van or bike. By following HPI’s advice, doing an HPI Check, and buying prudently, the car buying experience should be as pain-free as possible.


Check before you buy – Buying a car is a big deal so buy with confidence. can reveal a vehicle’s full history, enabling you to make a more informed decision. Discover a vehicle’s hidden history, if it’s been written off or stolen and much more …

End of Adverts

Please visit our Blog

Automotive Related Blog

The IsMyCar Blog is packed with articles on the latest automotive news, events and general interest. Read about the growing crime of registration number cloning – what to do and how to avoid it. Up to date information on the recent changes to the MOT test, ways to avoid the 4 most common MOT failures and much more. Did you know that NIL-RATED vehicles still need to be registered for vehicle tax? Avoid a minimum £80 fine by  ensuring you register your car for vehicle tax even if it’s nil-rated or tax emept.