Do you need Vehicle Tax?
To drive on the the UK roads your car, bike or van must have valid Vehicle Tax. The majority of drivers have to pay to tax their vehicle. However – certain vehicles may be exempt. To check if you vehicle is taxed, to report an untaxed vehicle or to register your own vehicle as SORN (Statutory Off Road Notice) please scroll down.
Vehicle Tax FAQ’s
If you can’t find the answer to your questions here then please pop over to IsMyCar Vehicle Tax FAQ’s for all the answers to the most frequently asked questions.
Check your car insurance status first
You won’t be able to get car tax without valid insurance. The penalty for driving without valid insurance is far greater than driving an untaxed vehicle. It’s easy to forget whether you have renewed your car insurance, especially if you have several vehicles. Click here to find out if your car is insured now – checking your own car insurance is FREE with askMID. If you want to know how to find out is a car is insured (a vehicle you do NOT own) – then AskMID also offer this service for a small fee.
Please support this website by looking at this products on Amazon- Thank you.
How to Find out if your Car is Taxed
Keeping your vehicle’s tax up to date is essential to comply with legal requirements and avoid penalties. Thankfully, the UK government’s official website, GOV.uk, provides a user-friendly platform to check the validity of your vehicle tax. In this blog post, we will walk you through the simple steps to determine your car’s tax status using GOV.uk.
- Visit the GOV.uk website: Open your web browser and navigate to the official GOV.uk website. This is the central hub for government services and information.
- Access the “Vehicle tax, MOT, and insurance” section: Once on GOV.uk, locate the search bar or menu and search for “vehicle tax, MOT, and insurance.” This section contains comprehensive information and services related to vehicle taxation.
- Click on “Check if a vehicle is taxed”: Within the “Vehicle tax, MOT, and insurance” section, look for the specific service titled “Check if a vehicle is taxed.” Click on this option to proceed.
- Enter the vehicle registration number: You will be directed to a page where you can enter your vehicle’s registration number. Input the details accurately and click on the “Continue” or “Submit” button.
- Review the tax status: After submitting the registration number, the system will provide you with the current tax status of your vehicle. It will indicate whether the tax is up to date or if any payments are due.
Thanks to the convenient online services offered on GOV.uk, checking the validity of your vehicle tax has become incredibly easy. By following the steps outlined above, you can quickly verify your car’s tax status and ensure compliance with UK regulations. Remember to regularly check your vehicle tax to avoid any unnecessary legal issues or penalties.
Vehicle Tax Checker Free
Click here for a live Vehicle Tax Check – only the registration number is required. This service is FREE. The data feed is updated every 24 hours. If you have just taxed your vehicle – within the last few hours – it may still report it as untaxed. To proceed enter your VRM (vehicle registration mark) in the box and click enter.
Please scroll down this page for more related information including: –
Vehicle Tax Exemption
In the UK, most vehicles are required to have valid vehicle tax to be driven legally on public roads. However, there are some exceptions and special circumstances:
- Disabled drivers: Disabled drivers or those who are receiving certain disability benefits may be eligible for exemption or reduced rates for vehicle tax. This is applicable if the vehicle is used solely by the disabled person or for their benefit.
- Vintage vehicles: Vehicles that are over 40 years old and meet specific criteria can be registered as “historic vehicles” and are exempt from paying vehicle tax. However, they can’t be used for commercial purposes or as daily transportation.
- Electric vehicles (EVs): Fully electric vehicles are eligible for a zero-rated vehicle tax, encouraging the adoption of greener transportation.
It’s important to note that even if a vehicle is exempt from vehicle tax, it must still be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and display a valid tax disc or have the tax status declared online. It’s recommended to check the specific rules and requirements based on the vehicle type and individual circumstances to ensure compliance with the law.
Report an Untaxed Vehicle
It is a motoring offence to drive an untaxed vehicle on UK roads unless it is exempt from taxation. If you are aware of an untaxed vehicle being driven (or simply parked) on a UK road then you may report it to the authorities. Press the button below to make an anonymous report that will be investigated by the DVLA.
Register as SORN
If you wish to keep a registered vehicle on private property and NOT drive it on public roads then you must register it as SORN. A Statutory Off Road Notice informs the DVLA that your car, bike or van is off the road and not being driven. When a vehicle is registered SORN there is no Vehicle Tax to be paid . To register a vehicle SORN please press the button below.